Here is a little piece of the Google Algorithm pie that Rand explained for us, and although its nothing new as far as stuff I know, and have figured out ...its still good to see it and visit this information from time to time..
GoogScore = (KW Usage Score * 0.3) + (Domain Strength * 0.25) + (Inbound Link Score * 0.25) + (User Data * 0.1) + (Content Quality Score * 0.1) + (Manual Boosts) - (Automated & Manual Penalties)
What they mean?
- KW - Keyword usage in places such as the title tag, meta description, meta keywords, keywords in content, keywords in links (inbound and outbound) Header tags, keyword usage in URL.
- Domain Strength - the age is the biggie here. Look at all the ILQ directories. The main factor they are worth submitting to and the strength they give your site is the age. How long you have registered the domain name for. Links pointing to them, and not just the number again the quality of the link pointing to your domain.
- Inbound Link Score - It's basic, it really is. The main factor is age, page rank and quality of link pointing to your site. Also, the usage of the link - is it in the form of anchor text or just a url link?
- User Data - History of the way visitors use your site. How long they visit and return visitors. Do you have reasons for the people to keep coming back? Do you have any rankings in the search engines? If so, is your click through ratio (CTR) good for those keywords, or does your site constantly keep getting snubbed by visitors?
- Content Quality Score - Validation. I think rather then humans (the web is way to big - especially Googles index) the algo's come into play here if the site validates, if you are using all your redir's properly, the way your site reads etc..
- Manual Boosts - I am not really sure if this is true or not, but we are sure that Matt Cutts has a built in spam-detector, and thats why Google really keeps him around. (jk) So if a human can penalize a site, maybe a human can boost a site. I mean type in SEO blog on Google and notice who is #1. Why not, I would do it too if I could!
- Automated & Manual Penalties - You can report spam, and you know the algo's have a way to pick up the bigger ways of spamming. In the webmaster tools area you can also submit for re-inclusion as well. Someones gotta look at that right? If not thats one smart algo.....I really don't think this area should have its own section, and could probably be thrown in with the manual boosts areas.
Google will never give us all of its gold nuggets. It's fun for us to try and pick apart what we know and test things we don't and I think that is the key. If you never get in and play, you will never figure anything out - and THAT is most of the battle itself!